The purpose of gifted education in Cherry Creek Schools is to provide an education experience that results in maximizing student achievement.
The Cherry Creek School District believes that gifted students have unique academic and affective needs. Cherry Creek administrators and teachers support a philosophy that emphasizes the need for a challenging learning environment that focuses on high achievement for every gifted student. Programming for gifted students must be responsive to individual needs and must recognize the multiple talents, challenges, and cultural diversity of the district's population.
The Cherry Creek School District supports research-based strategies that provide opportunities for optimal learning to ensure that gifted students will perform at levels commensurate with their abilities. Gifted students should be provided dynamic, challenging educational programming at every level throughout their school career.
DISTRICT BELIEF STATEMENTS
The Cherry Creek School District recognizes a set of core beliefs regarding gifted students and their education, established as part of the Gifted Strategic Plan.
Those beliefs include the following:
- While all students have academic strengths, not all students are gifted.
- Students may be gifted in one area or in multiple areas.
- Gifted students have unique and varied cognitive and affective abilities and needs.
- Gifted students appear in all populations.
- Gifted students should be provided programming which fosters maximum academic and personal growth and adequate documentation of that growth.
- Gifted students should learn in an environment where their gifts and abilities are acknowledged, valued, and nurtured.
- Gifted students should be provided appropriate and varied programming options throughout their school career.
- Gifted students require adequate support, including direct instruction, to maximize their academic potential.
- Gifted students need choice throughout their school career.
- Early recognition of and appropriate educational responses to gifted students are essential.
- Providing appropriate programming for gifted students is a responsibility shared by classroom teachers, electives teachers, gifted education specialists, administrators, and parents.
- Gifted students must be active participants in and share responsibility for their own learning.